Practical information for foreign students:

1- How to get to Toulouse? 
2- Registering with the Local Authority 
3- How to get housing benefit/rebate? 
4- How to open a French bank account? 
5- Health Insurance 
6- To Help you settle down 
7-The French Educational system 
8- Personal opportunities



How to get to Toulouse

Arrival by plane at the Aéroport of Toulouse-Blagnac

A taxi ride to downtown will cost you about 22 euros during the day and 30 euros during the night. 
There is a shuttle-bus (navette) to Toulouse which leaves every 20 minutes from 5:00 a.m. to 00:15 p.m. The ride takes about 30 min. Tickets cost about 5 euros. The shuttle will take you to the train station Marengo SNCF.

Arrival by train at Marengo SNCF station Toulouse

Toulouse is a 5 and a half hour ride from Paris by the train. The train station is well connected to Toulouse public transport system.



Registering with the Local Authority

You have to apply for a Carte de Séjour if you stay in France for more than 6 months.

Get the necessary forms from Campus. You may also get them from: 

La préfecture, DRLP - Bureau des Etrangers, 1, rue Sainte Anne. The offices are open Monday to Friday, from 9:00 A.M. to 15:00P.M.

You will also need:
- Copies of your passport, 
- Birth certificate or fiche d'etat civile (you can get this from your consulate)
- 4 passport photos
- A certificate from your landlord or any other documentary proof that your address is exact (e.g. electricity bill, telephone bill, rent bill…)
- A stamped envelope with your name and address.
- Health insurance 
- Proof of campus registration (certificat de scolarité
- A justification of your financial means (this can be a letter from your parents saying that you have sufficient funds or your bank statements).

For non European Union nationals, add: 

A medical certificate issued after a compulsory medical examination in the bureau of international migrations (l'Office des migrations internationales).

The waiting period is very variable. It's generally between 2 to 8 weeks. You'll get a letter requesting you personally withdraw the residence permit at la prefecture.

NB: You really need to take all the papers you need with you from home otherwise it can take ages. You have to get information on what you need before you leave your country. The list and content of the documents required by the prefecture may vary from one year to the next, depending on the student's country of origin. Inquire at the time of arrival at the International Relations Office of your Faculty.


How to get housing benefit/rebate

Get the forms from the CAF (Caisse d'allocations familiales). You may download the form from their website: . You need to first have a French Bank account. You'll also need an Attestation de logement (you can get this from your landlord) or any other documentary proof that your address is exact (e.g. electricity bill, telephone bill, rent bill…), Certificat de scolarité (given when you register at campus), a copy of your passport and carte de sejour.

At L'Auberge, we simplify these procedures for you.


How to open a French bank account

To open an account you need a fixed address (Attestation de logement), passport and carte de sejour. We recommend a Post Office account which is easy to open.


Health Insurance

Foreign students’ insurance is classified into two different categories:

Students from a European Union member State and/or from the European Economic Community

According to European law, students from a EEC member States (except France) as well as those from Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are exonerated from paying a student health insurance if they provide one of the following documents: 
- Form No. E106 (certificate of rights to health insurance benefits in the case of people resident in another country than the competent one); 
- Form No. E111 (certificate of rights to health insurance benefits during a stay in a member State) or E128 (certificate of rights to health insurance benefits necessary during a stay in a member State);

You can download these form from:

- Documentary proof of a public or private health insurance coverage of himself/herself and the members of his/her family accompany them. The insurance should cover the totality of risks that you could be exposed to during your stay in France and must cover the period corresponding to your stay in France (the academic year). The insurance should not have any restrictions, notably a maximum amount not to be exceeded, resulting in inadequate cover. 

They must simply justify their identity and their nationality with any document (passport, ID card, driving licence...) certifying their citizenship of the above mentioned States. For their family members, any proof establishing a family relation with the said citizen is required.

Students from non EU States

All foreign students from non EU states must subscribe to the French student health insurance scheme. 

For the 2005/2006 academic year, the cost of subscription to the French student health scheme is 186 euros.

Students from Quebec do not need to subscribe to the French health insurance scheme so long as they prove that they are insured by the Quebec health scheme. However, you must go to the nearest social security centre and fill the SE 401 Q 102 bis form accompanied by proof of campus registration (e.g. student card for the academic year in question). 

It's advisable to get complementary mutual health insurance. Three organisations are specialised in student mutual health insurance at very competitive prices: 

SMESO (Société mutualiste des étudiants du Sud Ouest)
16,rue Riquet (Tel : 0825 825 715)

LMDE (La Mutuelle des Etudiants
97, rue Riquet (Tel : 0810 600 601)

MAE (Mutuelle Assurance Eleves)
55, rue Bayard (Tel : 05 34 41 53 53)



To Help you settle down

Sortie d'amphi

This is specially adapted bus that makes a tour of all the campuses in Marseille throughout the year. On board, you'll find a cyber café, documents and guides who'll advice on any subject related to your student life. It's a sort of student advice centre which offers good advice on accommodation, transport, financing studies, career prospects, leisure, jobs, health... 

Monday: La Timone faculty
Tuesday: Luminy faculty
Wednesday: St. Charles faculty
Thursday: St. Jerome faculty
Friday: Chateau Gombert Faculty.


The French Educational system

The university system has three levels. 

Licence (3 year undergraduate training), 
Student must acquire 180 (European Credit Transfer System) ECTS credits to obtain a licence.

Master (2 year graduate training).
120 ECTS credits are required to obtain a Master. There are two types of Master: 
A research Master where students do some research work in the second year and write a research mémoire.
A professional Master where student go for a 6 month work placement or internship during their second year of study and write an internship report.

Doctorat (3 year postgraduate training). 
180 ECTS credits are required to obtain a doctorat. Doctorat students do a three year research which is completed with the publication of a thesis.

The French higher education system is quite different from most systems because it offers three different types of higher education training.

- Universities
They offer general as well as specialised training in major domains of study. Most universities in France are public universities. 

- Business schools, engineering schools and schools of political science.
The schools offer high level specialised training. Admission to these schools is very selective.

- Specialised schools
These schools offer professional training in a specific domain e.g. Nursing, journalism, 

For general information about studying in Toulouse:


Personal opportunities:

Socially, there is a chance to mix with many different people form many different places. In most universities, foreign students tend to bunch but it is worth remembering that this may not be best for developing your language. 

It may be possible to organise a stage (work experience) with local employers to boost your CV.

Where to find a job: 

Guide « Jobs saisonniers » 
17 rue de Metz, 31000

CROUS, ANPE and DVE (Division Vie Etudiante) of your university. 

Where to find an internship: 

Agence Régionale des Stages en Entreprises
25 bis Avenue Marcel Dassault 31500 Toulouse Tel : 05 61 17 47 19